Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Our Family's 40 Day Challenge


Tomorrow is the first day of Lent for many Christians around the globe. To most people it brings up a mental image of ash crosses on foreheads, fish frys, and pancake dinners.

Growing up in a Catholic church we were encouraged as kids to give up something for 40 days. This was a simple way to eliminate perhaps a small vice we would be better without. It was also a means of honoring the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for us all when he died on the cross.

There are of course many different ways to reflect on our faith during Lent. There are prayer calendars with a different thing to pray for every week. I especially love this one from the United Methodist Church. There are gratitude journals like here at Momastery. There are 40 days of service challenges and mission projects to focus on acting out teachings of the bibles. Some people sacrifice and give up something for Lent. Many use Lent as a time of confession and repentance. 

Ultimately though, Lent is a time for personal growth and reflection.

As a challenge to myself I will be blogging through Lent this year.

Sounds crazy right? Yes, it sure is. But I think it will be a great goal to aspire to. Some of the topics I will cover are:

Unwritten
Why I Go to Church
Our Financial Peace Story
Putting God First
Words for a Purpose
Relationships are Important
Parenting Survival Mode
Moms Are Not the Same
It Takes a Village
Empowering Youth
Garden Friends
The 5:1 Rule
Let it Go
When Kids Make Church Hard
Walking the Second Mile
Who is God
The Under Served
A Passion Story
Worrying
Grace—Beautiful Grace

So my friends, I am inviting you to join me this Lent. I hope to inspire and encourage and share a few stories along the way and maybe just a bit of my own faith journey. I hope you will enjoy Our Family's 40 Day Challenge.

Blessings,

Jessica  

No comments:

Post a Comment